Monday, November 21, 2011

Where can I find ideas / recipes for easy healthy meals that kids like to eat?

My 4 year old hasn't developed very good eating habits. It's our fault and we know it. We want to do better.





Is there a book or some other source of easy to fix foods that are reasonably healthy and that kids like to eat? Preferably something that you've used yourself and have found effective.Where can I find ideas / recipes for easy healthy meals that kids like to eat?
I just make this myself because my mom used to make it for us and they were my favorites. Plus, I have 4 extremely picky nieces and nephews that say ';EWWW! That's gross!! I'm not eating thaaat!!!'; so this is what I found works:





Home-made ';hamburger helper'; (it's a casserole but I tell them it's this and they go for it...:


They liked any kind we bought in the box, so first, I cooked some pasta (egg noodles work, the little shells, and the elbow macaroni are best for kids). Then I browned some ground beef, tossed in a small can of tomato paste, and a few seasonings like chili powder or oregano--whatever you feel like along w/ salt n pepper...


Mix the pasta into the meat and tomato paste and transfer into a casserole dish.Spread the top with shredded cheese of your choice and bake at 350 until melted--about 25 minutes.





Also, there's a home-ade pizza kit that Chef-Boyardee makes that is EXCELLENT and a lot of fun to make with kids--let them create their own pizza but give them specific options like maybe just cheese, cheese and pepperoni (buy it it the hotdog section), etc.





Ground beef or refried bean and cheese burritos are great, too--from scratch...Small flour tortillas, refried beans, favorite shredded cheese...You can add sour cream if they like it and ground beef w/ taco seasoning goes well for a combo burrito...





Hot dogs and macaroni and cheese work well, too. Also, I designated each child their own ';I-get-to-pick dinner'; night. In the morning, give them 3 options that ONLY include meals from home (no takeout pizza, burgers, or subs) and then let them ';help'; on that evening. You can really benefit a lot from this--they learn what a balanced meal is, they can be creative, find new things they like, and you get to see what they like and maybe you can add variety to some things. I also went and got kids cookbooks from the library and let them pick out new things to try based on the pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment